Forward Motion for Writers

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the new Forward Motion forum!

Tell us who you are, and a little about your writing.

TOPIC: New- real new, not old new :)

New- real new, not old new :) 4 years 10 months ago #8415

• jhmcmullen
  • Platinum Boarder
  • John McMullen, Bon Mordant
  • Thank you received: 45
First: Welcome!

I responded with a PM talking about Roving Crits, but I'll touch on a few other things.

No, there's no number of crit "tokens" to submit. The control method is only the opprobrium of your companions.

What normally happens, in my experience, is that you spend a bit of time on Roving Crits, giving and getting crits. Over that time, you start to form opinions about other folks, such as, "Oh, his crits are always short and don't seem to have much meat on them," or "Hers are great: pithy and while she might miss stuff, what she says is always important," or "He seems to miss the point but he's great on the technical stuff," or "She's just trying to drum up crits for her own work, and she submits so often she tires me out!" or whatever.

You also find out, in that time, whether there's a crit group dedicated to the genre you usually write in (I think there's one for romance novels, for instance) or the lack of genre you usually write in (a shout out to the Manic Medley group), and whether that group is accepting new members.

If they look good and they're accepting new members, there's probably an ad in Critique Connections. You apply to join the group, and they say yes or no (probably after looking at your submissions; many of the people of Roving Crits also belong to a private critique group).

If they're not accepting new members, you can use PMs or put your own ad in Critique Connections and try to create a group of like-minded critters.

But there's no ratio of six critiques to one submission or whatever that's board-wide. (Individual groups might have rules like that.)

Hope that helps.
John McMullen: Hereabouts since June 14, 2002. Ewwww. ;)
For the tenth anniversary of my acoustic neuroma, I got cancer! Yay! (I guess.)
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by jhmcmullen. Reason: Forgot to say hi!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: romanticallyfantastic

Replies in Topic: New- real new, not old new :)

New- real new, not old new :) romanticallyfantastic 4 years 10 months ago
New- real new, not old new :) jhmcmullen 4 years 10 months ago
New- real new, not old new :) Ashe Elton Parker 4 years 10 months ago
New- real new, not old new :) Magic Seeker 4 years 10 months ago
New- real new, not old new :) Maripat 4 years 10 months ago
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds