Forward Motion for Writers

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the new Forward Motion forum!

Tell us who you are, and a little about your writing.

TOPIC: Hello Out There!

Hello Out There! 4 years 7 months ago #13082

• nmpondus
  • Fresh Boarder
Just joined up, trying another venue to gather information and interact with those afflicted with similar issues as mine -- namely a wannabe writer, plying the unfamiliar waters of trying to publish. Just trying to connect.

I have a wickedly ecclectic background and am mostly over educated by the standards of my day job and am curesed with a seriously overactive imagination. Combine that with a highly seasonal day-job and a lot of free time and you get someone who wants to write.

I've been writing now for several years, but at different times in my background I have professionally written for entirely different reasons and purposes and for totally different audiences. The past few years marks my first forray into fiction -- Urban Fantasy in particular.

I was inspired by Jim Butcher and the total and utter lack of Urban Fantasy written for guys. I was also driven by my deep interest in folklore and mythology and some derranged need to maintain legends and myths close to their origins rather than wander from them blindly (I may or may not be talking about sparkly vampires here.)

My first book, HUmanity's Fist, is done, and I have even had it professionally edited. My second book, The Hanner Brid, is now in its 3rd draft and has finally been read by a few beta readers and I have begun my third book. All of them are in the same storyline and involve the main character -- Diomedes (yeah, the guy from the Trojan War). The world is our world, with all our issues, but with the addition of an entire shadow world of "Protogenoi" and "Paranthropoi" or creatures and beings from myth that exist along side us. Everything from fairies to wizards and ogres, and yes, even vampires.

I'd be happy to let anyone who wants to read it to do so... I have been told by those who have read it that its excellent. After a few hundred query letters to agents and mostly no responses, and one who requested the entire manuscript and then dropped off the face of the planet (from a serious NY agency), I am losing heart. I'm not sure if I should e-publish, self publish or just keep trying to find an agent.

I get that I am writing for a tiny subsection of a small sub genre, and one that is currently not of much interest -- Urban Fantasy for guys -- but I write what I would like to read.

Anyway -- Hi All.... I take advice very well...
Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by nmpondus. Reason: spelling fixes
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Replies in Topic: Hello Out There!

Hello Out There! nmpondus 4 years 7 months ago
Hello Out There! Magic Seeker 4 years 7 months ago
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds