Forward Motion for Writers

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the new Forward Motion forum!

Tell us who you are, and a little about your writing.

TOPIC: Introducing myself

Introducing myself 4 years 6 months ago #14057

• MaryStoffelRoder
  • Fresh Boarder
My name is Mary. I subscribe to FanStory and there I am known as mommerry. I have earned that nickname because I am the mother of seven and can still laugh.

If my five sons and two daughters had their say, my icon would be ?!>. As younger children they gifted me with scatter pins like that. I asked what that was all about. They said if they ever wrote a book about me that would be the title because I am usually confused about something, surpised, or I am "going forward" by talking too much. They have done a better job of gifting since their marriages as they have given my husband and myself 13 grandsons and 11 granddaughters.

We lived on a farm where we raised the children, hogs, cattle, corn and beans. When the children left home I took a job as an executive secretary and tax preparer for a law firm in our small town of about 1800 people. Now retired from that job, I have been urged by our children (they are pushy folks) to begin writing something other than letters to them. I always liked to include anecdotes about them or myself, or friends we had in common and they insisted it would be fun to see some of them published. For my fiftieth birthday they sent me to a writer's workshop at a nearby college.

I wrote a few short stories after that and sent them out. I remember when I got the first of many rejection letters. I ran up the lane after retrieving the mail from or rural mailbox waiving the letter and yelling, "I am a writer! I am a writer!" Everything I read about writing said if you are a writer you will probably get very familiar with rejection letters. And I had one!

It was almost ten years after that before I cranked up the courage to go to a local newspaper office
here in Iowa with a few stories I had written and asked if they would be interested in publishing a column, It was so easy. They said having a column by a local writer was something they could use. I started out writing what we called a slice of life column twice a month but for the past five years it has been a weekly column. A small rural newspaper in Kansas and another in Mineesota have picked it up. I will attach the column that will be sent out for next week's papers.

Hard to find anyone intersted in talking about writing or critiquing my work in small-town Iowa so I will be excited to go into a chat room and see what I can learn there.
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by MaryStoffelRoder. Reason: too many words in spots
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Replies in Topic: Introducing myself

Introducing myself MaryStoffelRoder 4 years 6 months ago
Introducing myself ErinMH 4 years 6 months ago
Introducing myself Magic Seeker 4 years 6 months ago
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds