Forward Motion for Writers

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the new Forward Motion forum!

Tell us who you are, and a little about your writing.

TOPIC: A(nother) wild Aussie appears

A(nother) wild Aussie appears 3 years 4 months ago #28845

• cupiscent
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Hi all. My name's Diana, I'm from Melbourne Australia, and I write (and read) fantasy fiction. Some of my favourite authors are Scott Lynch, Max Gladstone, Guy Gavriel Kay, KJ Parker... I like fantasy that's a little bit different from the swords-and-sorcery standard.

I found FM from a passing reference on the Fantasy Faction discussion boards, and I've been lurking for a week while I sifted wide-eyed through all the forums here. (So little time when you're doing Camp Nano...) This looks like a wonderfully involved community, and I'm looking forward to getting involved. (Though, yes, so many areas. So if anyone has any "hey, start here!" pointers, gratefully received!)

Most days I feel fairly well progressed on my writing journey. (Of course, some days, staring at the flashing cursor on the empty screen, I feel like I'm a rank beginner.) I've been putting words to paper for twenty years, and doing so with malice aforethought and systematic intent for the last ten. I have a completed novel, which I shopped around for a year, to small interest from a few agents that fizzled into "Love the way you do it, don't love this, send me your next thing". Currently working on said next thing.

I would say my biggest hurdle is discipline: getting bum on seat as a precursor to words on page. As a combination carrot and stick, I am in the midst of July Camp Nano, and it's been going swimmingly. (Though I have to wonder how well I'd be going if I hadn't done a thorough plot-outline before July started, I also wonder whether I'd have nailed down that plot outline if I hadn't committed myself to July.) One of the things I'm hopeful for with involvement in this community is ongoing carrot/stick help with that, with a side helping of keeping me attached to writing through discussion even when I'm not actually writing.

I'm also, you might have noticed, prone to verbosity. ;)
-- Diana
(more hippos, less oaks)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Replies in Topic: A(nother) wild Aussie appears

A(nother) wild Aussie appears cupiscent 3 years 4 months ago
A(nother) wild Aussie appears Ashe Elton Parker 3 years 4 months ago
A(nother) wild Aussie appears Magic Seeker 3 years 4 months ago
A(nother) wild Aussie appears djmills 3 years 4 months ago
A(nother) wild Aussie appears djmills 3 years 4 months ago
A(nother) wild Aussie appears J.A. Marlow 3 years 4 months ago
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds