Forward Motion for Writers

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the new Forward Motion forum!

Tell us who you are, and a little about your writing.

TOPIC: Hey everyone!

Hey everyone! 8 months 8 hours ago #62694

• Ashe Elton Parker
  • Platinum Boarder
  • This Dragon is immortal and may never be slain.
  • Thank you received: 2443
Welcome to FM, Ashfox!

I'm going to warn you right off the bat that I consider magical realism to be Urban Fantasy. I can accept that it can be and probably is a subgenre of Urban Fantasy, but I'm not impressed with a genre name to what I consider to be a genre with long history in the publishing world, no matter what modern-day writers may claim. For perspective, I got into Urban Fantasy back before it even had the name "Urban Fantasy" (I've been into spec fic most of my life).

Aside from that, I do enjoy a good UF story, and I write various types of speculative fiction myself. I also dabble in contemporary gay romance. The vast majority of my MCs in my spec fic are some variety of LGBTQ+, and I have a habit of telling myself that oh, there just can't be another original magical system out there before coming up with yet another one. Thus far, I think I've come up with something like 30 magical systems, and if someone had told me ten years ago that it was possible for one writer to come up with so many, I'd have laughed in their face.

Explore the boards and reply to a few of our posts. Join the Goals board if you like. We're friendly folks, if a little quiet right now. Sadly, the site's chat rooms are pretty dead these days, except for Think Tank (a brainstorming event) that happens in Conference Room 1 every Friday and Sunday evening in the States, but if you visit FM's companion site, Writing Groove, you'll probably find someone hanging out there in the afternoons and evenings. Don't worry, you don't have to sign up for Writing Groove to access the chatroom there, but if you want to, that's also free, as is registering with Minnit Chat, who provides the chatroom.

If you haven't already, I'll suggest you read the Forward Motion Terms of Service and, if you go to Writing Groove, their Site Rules and Terms of Service as well. It's also a good idea to scroll down to the bottom of WG's pages to access the other notices you should probably also read.

That's it! If you have any questions about anything about FM or WG, feel free to ask either here or there. Though it may take some time, we're always happy to help!

Ashe Elton Parker
A writer of LGBT characters in Speculative Fiction.

My Instagram

I try to Art too
My DeviantArt

Member Since 1998

~

"There's someone in my head, but it's not me." ~ Pink Floyd
Last Edit: 8 months 8 hours ago by Ashe Elton Parker.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Replies in Topic: Hey everyone!

Hey everyone! ashfox 8 months 11 hours ago
Hey everyone! Ashe Elton Parker 8 months 8 hours ago
Hey everyone! Magic Seeker 7 months 4 weeks ago
Time to create page: 0.253 seconds